The Racine Unified School District and Mahogany Gallery celebrated the winners of the 2022-23 Martin Luther King, Jr. Art and Essay Contest Saturday, Jan. 14. This is the second annual contest that invites students in kindergarten through 12th grade to honor Dr. King in their own way.
This year, the District received 99 entries from both public and private schools. There were 10 winners in grades K-2, nine in grades 3-5, five in grades 6-8 and two in grades 9-12. Each of their works were displayed at the Mahogany Gallery. You can check out a gallery of the students with their works here and then click on the titles of their works below for a closer look. Thank you to everyone who came out to celebrate these talented students!
- Famke Adams, Schulte Elementary: The Speech
- Jocelyn Maldonado, S.C. Johnson Elementary: Untitled
- Ethan Glenn, West Ridge Elementary: Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Moises Donoso, Julian Thomas Elementary: Untitled
- Olive Petrie, Gifford School: Love is United
- Sadhana Juluri, Jefferson Lighthouse Elementary: About Martin Luther King
- Ian Perez, Olympia Brown Elementary: Bridge of Light
- Akorede Balikis Adewunmi Agbolade, Julian Thomas Elementary: Martin Luther King, Jr. Timeline
- Aria Casso, Goodland Montessori: Make a Stand! We Have Rights
- Adan Loza, Gilmore Fine Arts: Why I chose to write about MLK, Jr.
Grades 3-5 Winners
- Amelia Jensen, Gilmore Fine Arts: Darkness to Light
- Jayda Turner, Tiyana Snow and Zara Vallin, Jefferson Lighthouse Elementary: MLK in the Light
- Simrita Juluri, Jefferson Lighthouse Elementary: Martin Luther King Artwork
- Isabella Perez, Olympia Brown Elementary: Bouquet of Dreams
- Ayana Jackson, S.C. Johnson Elementary: Hope
- Elizabeth Paulson, Jefferson Lighthouse Elementary: Only Love Can Drive Off Hate
- Finnea Zinke, Gilmore Fine Arts: Making a Difference
- Desire Siller, Gilmore Fine Arts: I Have a Dream
- Kjuan Howard, S.C. Johnson Elementary: I Have a Dream
Grades 6-8 Winners
- Aaliyah Gates, 21st Century Preparatory School: Let Love In
- Aarya V. Zore, Walden III: Sketch of MLK’s Lifetime
- Keyonah Porter, Turning Point Academy: Standing Up in Times of Challenges
- Linnea Foege, Gilmore Fine Arts: Only Good Can Stay
- Montgomery Peters, Gilmore Fine Arts: Essay
Grades 9-12 Winners