RUSD is excited to announce the winners of its inaugural MLK Essay & Art Contest!
This contest was held to honor and celebrate the life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by showcasing the amazing art and writing skills of RUSD students. And what amazing skills they are!
Winners were selected at elementary, middle and high school levels.
Art contest winners are:
- “Number One King” by Rocio Del Mar Berrios, Jefferson Lighthouse Elementary
- “You will Win a Friend” by Desire Siller, Gilmore Fine Arts
- “A collection of Poetry about Dr. King” by Elizabeth Schwandt and Grace Knapp, Gilmore Fine Arts
- “MLK Brave” by Savio Malacara, Gifford K-8
- “The Peace Podium,” made by a group of 5th graders at Jefferson Lighthouse Elementary (*listed below)
- “MLK Memory” made by Sophie Pichelman, Jerstad-Agerholm K-8
- “A Portrait of MLK” by Xai (Alexa) Perez, Izzy (Isabelle) Botelho, Beatriz Puentes Garcia and Ana King, Jerstad-Agerholm K-8
- “I Had a Dream” by Kameron Davis, Jerstad-Agerholm K-8
- “Dr. King’s Last Speech” by David Rivera-Gonzalez, Giavaughni Robbins, Jaden Ludwigson, Jacob Clemons and Nick Donaldson (Case High School and Walden III)
Essay contest winners are:
Kindergarten - 1st Grade:
- “The Power of Nonviolence” by Ruthvik Kothapally, Jefferson Lighthouse Elementary
- “Martin Luther King Jr.: A Living Example” by Claire Phillips, Gilmore Fine Arts
- “MLK Jr. Poem” by Jackson Dupuis, Jerstad-Agerholm K-8
- “Letter from Birmingham Jail” by Aarya Zore, Walden III
- “The Change Our Family Needs” by Alexander Gonzales, Case High School
Congratulations to all the winners! Their submissions will be recognized at the Mahogany Art Gallery this Saturday, Jan. 15 at 2 p.m.
Thank you to all the students who entered this contest and the parents, teachers and guardians who supported them. We hope to see all of your names on submissions next year!
*The following Jefferson Lighthouse Elementary 5th graders worked on “The Peace Podium:”