Learn about our Program for starting college early.
Initial Process for Start College Now (SCN)
- The student meets with the high school counselors and discusses coursework and schedule to make determinations about whether or not the SCN program fits the student's needs.
- Click here for a current listing of comparable courses that the district has maintained. This list is not comprehensive and is updated regularly based on any changes in curriculum or regulations. This list is not a guarantee that the IHE is offering the course(s) and approval/denial status is subject to change.
- Click here for the Course Description Guide to review all courses offered by RUSD for comparison.
- Click here to review the Recommended Start College Now Courses for High School Students provided by Gateway Technical College.
- During the application window, student does the following:
- After the deadline for application (review “Important Dates” for more information), the district will review all required documents and make a determination on the approval/denial of requested courses based on the comparability with any district courses. The determination will undergo Board approval.
- The district will inform the student/parent of which requested courses were approved or denied by the deadline (review “Important Dates” for more information).
- If a course was denied and the student/parent wishes to dispute the decision made by the district, they must follow the appeal process within 30 days of the dated letter sent listing approvals/denials. If the student disagrees with the school board's decision regarding comparability of courses or satisfaction of high school graduation requirements, the student may appeal the school board's decision to the state superintendent within 30 days after the decision (review "Appeal Considerations" for more information.
- If the student elects to move forward with the program, student completes the application process with the IHE of choice. This process will vary widely based on the technical college of choice. Student should contact the IHE directly for more information.
Final Process for Start College Now
- Student completes course.
- Student returns all books/non-consumable materials purchased using district funds to Administrative Services Center (ASC/Central Office) at 3109 Mt. Pleasant St. Racine, WI 53404.
- IHE sends transcript of completion to school.
- School records progress and forwards transcripts to the student by way of the high school.
- If it is determined that a course was not completed (dropped, withdrawn, failed), student/parent are billed for charges related to that course (tuition/books/fees) that were charged to the District.
Students attending Wisconsin public schools, not concurrently enrolled in Early College Credit Program.
11 - 12
Collectively referred to as “Institutions of Higher Education” (IHE)
Includes only Wisconsin technical colleges.
Fall and spring only
|College/Course Credit Limitation||
No annual or semester limits; however RUSD limits the total number of credits to 18 for the program and a maximum of 15 semester credits can be taken in a given semester.
|Important Dates (Application/Notification)||
|The Method of Selecting Applicants||
An IHE may admit a student only if there is space available and the student meets the requirements and prerequisites of the courses.
|District Denial of High School Credit for SCN Course||
|Cost of Course||
Pupil’s school district is responsible for all portions of tuition, fees, and books per pupil attending WTCS. Pupil is not initially responsible for any portion of the above.
Student/parent responsible for any transportation costs for attending course(s)