Welcome to our library of resources to help you raise a reader! We regularly add new information so check out the "What's New" section below for the latest literacy events, new book recommendations and more.
Early literacy skills start developing before children even start school and here you can find everything you need to help your child build the foundation they need to learn and grow. Let’s come together to help the next generation of readers develop a love for language!
Getting started is simple. Check out:
- Ten Tips for Families of Young Children
- Simple Things All Families Can Do at Home
- Reading 101: A Guide for Parents
- Raising Readers: Parent University Session with Reading Specialist Maggie Morgan (Ebook Format)
Then, dig deeper! We have tips, activities and more for every level of reader, whether they’re learning letters or reading independently. Take a look at our reader profiles and then use the menu at the left to find appropriate activities for your child.
- In celebration of Children's Authors and Illustrators Week (the first week in February), we asked RUSD principals to share their favorite books from their youth. Check out their beloved titles (and perhaps find some inspiration for your next read) here. Don't forget to share your favorite stories from your childhood with your own children!
- Enjoy this interactive picture book collection designed to highlight the history and achievements of African Americans that we've put together in honor of Black History Month.
- Join the Racine Public Library's Black History Month Reading Challenge! It runs Feb. 1 through Feb. 29. Sign up here.
Unlock a Love of Reading: 10 Strategies for Early Literacy Success that You Can Try at Home!
FREE books for children under 5 mailed to your door! Learn more here.