Parents/Guardians: If you have a developmental concern with your child, Racine Unified School District offers a free developmental screening for children Birth to 5 years old, who are not enrolled in RUSD.
SCHOOL DISTRICT OF RACINE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
ANNUAL NOTICE OF SPECIAL EDUCATION REFERRAL AND EVALUATION PROCEDURES
Upon request, the Racine Unified School District is required to evaluate a child for eligibility for special education services. A request for evaluation is known as a referral. When the district receives a referral, the district will appoint an Individualized Education Program (IEP) team to determine if the child has a disability, and if the child needs special education services.
The district locates, identifies, and evaluates all children with disabilities who are enrolled by their parents in private (including religious) schools, elementary schools and secondary schools located in the school district.
A physician, nurse, psychologist, social worker, or administrator of a social agency who reasonably believes a child brought to him or her for services is a child with a disability has a legal duty to refer the child, including a homeless child, to the school district in which the child resides. Before referring the child, the person making the referral must inform the child's parent that the referral will be made.
Others, including parents, who reasonably believe a child is a child with a disability may also refer the child, including a homeless child, to the school district in which the child resides.
Referrals must be in writing and include the reason why the person believes the child is a child with a disability.
If you feel your child has a disability and would like to get more information about the referral process or would like to submit a referral, please contact the person(s) listed below according to where your child goes to school:
- Early Childhood Developmental Screening: The RUSD early childhood team is available to screen children ages 3 to 5 (pre-kindergarten) and provide parents with information regarding their child’s developmental progress. If you would like to have your child scheduled for a screening, please call the special education department at (262) 631-7151.
- RUSD School: Contact your school principal or your child's classroom teacher.
- Private/Parochial School: RUSD evaluates students who attend private or parochial schools for the need of special education services. Contact your school principal or your attendance area RUSD school.
- Open Enrollment: Contact your school principal or your attendance area RUSD school.
- Home Schooling: Contact your attendance area RUSD school.
A referral may also be made by contacting the Special Education Department at 262-631-7151 or writing to the department at the Administrative Service Campus (ASC) 3109 Mt. Pleasant St. Racine, WI 53404. A referral may also be submitted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.